Saturday, June 23, 2012

After Years Away She Returns to Tango

The counterclockwise churn of the milonga's revolving door

¡Volver!  


After years away...

Tonight she again enters at tango's door,
A waterfall of sounds, a tango pours
Out millions of moments before her eyes.
Tango may be latent, but would never die.
It burns still inside her. As she sits to hear
As D'Arienzo brings her back to the years...

When dance was a way of being
And being a way of dance.
When eyes closed, a way of seeing,
And seeing, a way of trance.

¡Volver!  It echoed in her soul.  ¡Volver!
¡Volver!  It echoes in my soul.  ¡Volver!

Her years of tango-silence are broken
With her nod to my request unspoken
To dance again what once so moved her.
Strange that I, too, fought off tango's lure.
I had better things to do, I said. "Don't return
To that wooden path's counterclockwise churn!I'm tired of having nothing but dance to live for!"
Yet, soon I, too, am again at a milonga's door,
And I, too, hear the waterfall of sounds
Lifting me up from life's ups and downs.
It burns still inside me as I sit to hear
A familiar Biagi brings back the years...

For dance is a way of being,
And being a way of dance.
For dance is a way of seeing,
And seeing a way of trance.

A millennium of tango-silence is broken
With her nod to my request unspoken.
We give in to the dance -- its way of being.
We yield to touch and music for seeing.
We resign to the embraces we lacked.
I softly assure her, "Welcome back."



One of my favorite, cozy milongas in Germany: " Volver"
I'll see you at the door.











Photo Credit for the revolving door:  Karl Freund.   

2 comments:

  1. It's lovely Mark !

    It is a joy to be reminded of tango
    This cold wet Winter weekend
    Which is milongaless, danceless
    Here in the Adelaide Hills in Oz....


    Bill in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill, it always throws me off to hear about winter in BsAs or Australia when it is summer here in Europe. Milongas are especially important in the winter. Calor humano. If I win the lottery, I will sponsor a few tangueras to your town. But it is up to you to keep them warm. -- Mark

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment with four options:
(1) Here on the blog.
(2 & 3) On the links given above for Facebook/Google+ links.
(4) Comment via email at mark.word1@gmail.com, which with your permission, I can paste into comments.