Saturday, February 11, 2012

Milonga Lisa










My Milonga Lisa*


The music is fast.
I don't push her to take the next step.
The music drives her to do that!
The music leads --
No, it drives us a la vez.
But she stops when my body signals
The music's moment of pause.
A new phrase takes us back to tempo.

At end we stop and laugh
Like children who've jumped
From a swing to roll on the lawn.
We smile as we lie on the grass.
The music starts; no time to talk!
We run back to swing yet again
To the divine voice of La Música.
My milonguera sits in the Louvre of my mind,
The coy woman who has returned my nod.
She is my Milonga Lisa.


*From Wikipedia: "'Milonga Lisa' [means 'Simple Milonga'], in which
the dancer steps on every beat of the music; and "Milonga con
Traspié," in which the dancer uses Traspiés or contrapasos (changes of
weight from one foot to the other and back again in double time or
three steps in two beats) to interpret the music. Thus, dynamics may
be danced without having to run fast or without the use of much space.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment with four options:
(1) Here on the blog.
(2 & 3) On the links given above for Facebook/Google+ links.
(4) Comment via email at mark.word1@gmail.com, which with your permission, I can paste into comments.